Podgorica, (MINA) – In the fight against organized crime Montenegro has made significant results and that positive trend was present last year and is even more notable this year, Minister of Interior Mevludin Nuhodzic has stated.
According to a press release from the Interior Ministry, Nuhodzic met on Friday with Head of Montenegro Unit at the European Commission Thomas Hagleitner.
“The meeting discussed the fight against organized crime and corruption, illegal migration, terrorism, regional and international cooperation and the instruments of the EU’s financial and expert support to Montenegrin institutions,” the Ministry said.
“As a result of joint efforts [of state institutions] we have more arrests of members of organized criminal groups, bigger seizures of narcotics and other contraband goods and prevention of different criminal activities,” Nuhodizc said, adding that this trend would be continued in the future.
He reiterated that the cases of attacks on journalists remain a priority in the work of the police and the prosecution authorities.
“As long as we have at least one unres
Solved case, the intensity of efforts will not decrease until the perpetrators have been brought to justice,” Nuhodzic said.
The meeting also discussed the ways to improve capacities for conduct of financial investigations and further budgetary support for integrated border management, for which the EU allocated €8 million last year.
One of the discussion topics was the signing of an agreement with Frontex, which is expected to take place soon.
Longer version of article is available on a link MINA ENGLISH SERVIS